Description du contenu de l'enseignement
- Differentiation and sexual determinism
- Hypothalamo pituitary axe (Structure and function)
- Male and female reproductive system (Structure and function (gametogenesis and steroidogenesis)
- Placenta Physiology and endocrinology
- Lactation: mammary gland, mammogenesis, lactogenesis
- Brain sexualisation: sexual orientation, becoming man/woman, etc…
Data analysis of publications related to the course content. The objective is to learn how to make a link between the concepts treated in courses and the experimental results.
Lab work sessions allow students to understand the experimental approaches and techniques used in reproductive function experimental studies.
- Study the effects of steroid hormones on genital tract (model of rats ovariectomy and castration treated or not by steroid hormones).
- Study of gonadal feedback on the pituitary: ovariectomy or castration and measurement of gonadotropins by ELISA assay.
- Studies of the control of uterine muscle contraction.
- Female and male gametogenesis
- Observation of sperm mobility acquisition in rat epididymis.
Compétences à acquérir
The aim of this course is:
- To understand the reproductive function at systemic, organ, cell and molecular levels. The emphasis is on the gametes and hormones production including sex steroids, as well as on their role in the preparation of the female after fertilization, to carry the embryo, during pregnancy (Viviparous) and feed it after birth for a period of lactation.
- To understand sexuality processes: (sexual orientation, becoming man/woman, sexualisation of the brain...)
At the end of these lessons the student must be able to explain the functioning of the male and female reproductive systems, to analyse and interpret experimental results obtained at different levels of organization of reproductive function (histology, Immunohistology, in situ hybridization, serum hormonal assays, etc.)